KITCHEN CURATIONS: CHICKPEA BLONDIES
This summer I brought you black bean brownies. And those of you who tried them can attest to the fact that they were totally, albeit unexpectedly, delicious. You might even venture to say that getting your protein and fiber fix never tasted so good. So I figured, why stop there? That’s why I am now introducing you to the chickpea blondie. Yet another legume X baked good collaboration.
If you haven’t noticed, we are living in an age where wellness is infiltrating the mainstream. Athletic brands are working with fashion houses (i.e. Athleta X Derek Lam) to up your "athleisure" game. Fitness trackers are becoming jewelry accessories. And now, your legumes are taking over your baking recipes. Don’t hold out any longer. Get into your kitchen and get on board!
INGREDIENTS (makes 9 blondies)
- 1 15.5oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup all natural peanut butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 4-5 Tbsp water, as needed
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease an 8x8 baking pan.
- In a food processor, blend chickpeas until they become a paste-like consistency.
- Add peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt to chickpea paste and blend.
- Add in water, as needed, to help the batter blend more easily.
- Empty chickpea batter into a bowl and add chocolate and coconut.
- Mix until chocolate and coconut are evenly distributed.
- Empty batter into greased baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes, cut, and enjoy!
A FEW NOTES ABOUT THIS RECIPE:
- If you want a finer texture from the coconut, opt for shredded coconut instead of coconut flakes.
- Just because these are healthier than your average blondie, it doesn't mean you should eat the whole batch yourself! Not gonna lie though, it is very tempting...
- Don't tell people about your secret ingredient until after they try them. The thought of chickpeas in a dessert will probably turn them off, and the surprise on their faces when you finally do tell them is priceless!