KITCHEN CURATIONS: COCOA, FIG, & NUT ENERGY BITES
Next up on the energy bite series are these Chocolate, Fig, & Nut Energy Bites. I love the way the seeds of the figs add that extra bit of texture. Then there's the hint of chocolate that's in the background, but not overwhelming. However, in my opinion, the best part of these bites is the surprise of the orange zest! It brightens up the flavor and makes them seem just a little more gourmet. Overall though, I just love the combo of all the ingredients, and I hope you do too!
INGREDIENTS: (makes 20 balls)
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1 cup dried figs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp orange zest
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend until mixture forms a paste, but with some crunchy texture still left from the nuts and coconut.
- Form mixture into balls. I love using my OXO Good Grips cookie scoop, but you can use a spoon or tablespoon as well.
- Freeze for 2-4 hours for balls to set and keep in fridge until ready to eat.
FYI - These balls are gluten-free, grain-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian. So they basically can meet almost all of your guest's dietary restrictions.