KITCHEN CURATIONS: CARROT CAKE OATS
My new oatmeal obsession: Carrot Cake Oats! Let's be real, this is more of a winter morning kinda dish, but I finally got around to making it and it was delicious! As you may remember from my Carrot Cake Energy Bites, carrot cake is pretty much a top 5 dessert in my book, so when I found a way to integrate it into my morning routine, I was beyond thrilled. I may or may not be contemplating making a zucchini bread version, so stay tuned! In the meantime, here's the full recipe. Enjoy my dears!
INGREDIENTS: (1 serving)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/4 cup packed finely grated carrot
- 1/4 cup egg whites or 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maca powder
- 1 tsp coconut flour
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- pinch cardamom
- pinch nutmeg
- In a covered pot, bring almond milk to a boil.
- Add in oats, reduce to simmer, and let oats cook uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- After about 7 minutes, add carrots. Continue to stir occasionally.
- In the meantime, whisk egg whites, vanilla, maca, coconut flour, cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg in a separate bowl.
- When another 7 minutes have passed, or when most of the milk has been absorbed and the oats are tender, turn flame to low and add in egg white mixture very slowly, stirring oats the entire time. This will keep the egg whites from coagulating in clumps and will distribute them evenly to create a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Continue pouring and stirring until all of the egg white mixture has been mixed into the oats.
- Pour oat mixture into a bowl and top with anything you’d like! I like to top mine with raw walnuts, coconut, and a peanut butter drizzle, but hemp seeds and cacao nibs are also great additions!